Meeting the Challenge 70 Years Later
Back in 1939, when the community finally succeeded in building its first hospital, it was the donations made by many individuals in the community that made it happen.
Yes, there was a federal grant of $50,000 and a matching gift from W.C. Vereen for $50,000, but it was the $50,000 given by people throughout the community that made the new hospital a reality.
The community’s support for its healthcare facility didn’t end there. In 1992, the Colquitt Regional Medical Foundation was established to raise and invest funds to underwrite the long-term future of the hospital. Over the years, thousands of individuals have contributed to the Foundation and today it has nearly $4 million invested.
At the beginning of 2009, the Foundation had 47 members of its Founder’s Society, which is made up of those who have contributed $10,000 or more to the Foundation.
In the spirit of the 1939 campaign that raised $50,000 to build the new hospital, the Foundation earlier this year set a goal to have 70 Founders by the time the hospital celebrates its 70th anniversary.
And, in the spirit of the 1939 campaign, the challenge was met and during its anniversary gala and Founder’s dinner last night the Foundation inducted 28 new Founders to bring total membership of the Founder’s Society to 75.
The new members include:
A.C. Blount Concrete Finishing, Inc., Dr. & Mrs. David Adcock, Mr. & Mrs. Victor Beadles, Mr. & Mrs. Gary Boley, Brasfield & Gorie, Mr. & Mrs. Cliff Bridges, Ms. Jane H. Brown, Dr. & Mrs. Thomas Estes, Mr. Wayne Evans, Dr. & Mrs. Mike Haney, Miss Elizabeth Jeter, Mr. & Mrs. Greg Johnson, Dr. & Mrs. Jim Keith, Dr. & Mrs. Howard Melton, Mobley Gin Co. / Mr. & Mrs. Mark Mobley, Moultrie Junior Woman’s Club, Ms. Edna Moye / Colquitt Regional Auxiliary, Dr. Josh Newton / Moultrie Eye Center, Ms. Larry Peoples, Mr. & Mrs. Larry Sims, Mr. & Mrs. Harry Spires, Dr. Derrick Thornton—Moultrie Eye Center, S&S Food Administrators, Mr. & Mrs. David Tharp, Turning Point / Mr. Ben Marion, Ms. Barbara Vereen and Rev. & Mrs. Hugh Ward.
From the very beginning, the people of this community have been at the heart of the hospital’s history. It was the people who saw the need and eventually raised the funds to build it. It was the people over the years who devoted their time and expertise to the leadership of the hospital. It was the people who went to the polls to approve additional funding or to declare their intention to maintain ownership of the hospital. And it is the people who continue to support the institution with their gifts.