FACT: Bell peppers are a rich source of vitamin C and vitamin A. 1 cup raw has 196% of the
daily value of vitamin C and 58% of the daily value for vitamin A.
Red and Green Bell Pepper Bites:
Serves 8; 3 pieces per serving
-1 medium green bell pepper
-1 medium red bell pepper
-1/4 cup sliced almonds
-4 ounces fat-free or reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
-1 teaspoon no-salt lemon pepper seasoning blend
-1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1. after discarding the stems, ribs, and seeds, cut each half into six pieces. arrange the
pieces with the skin side down on a decorative serving platter.
2. dry-roast the almonds in a medium skillet over medium heat for 3-4 mintues or until
golden brown, stirring occasionally. transfer 1 tbsp of the almonds to a small plate and
reserve for garnishing.
3. process the remaining almonds in a food processor or blender for 15-20 seconds, or until
4. in a medium mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, lemon pepper seasoning and lemon juice
with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes or until creamy. add the ground almonds and beat for
10 seconds, or until combined.
5. spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a wide star or round trip. or snip the
corner off a resealable plastic bag and squeeze in the almond mixture. pipe about 1
teaspoon of the mixture onto each bell pepper piece. garnish with the reserved almonds.
Nutrition: (per serving)
1.5 g total fat
0 g sat fat
3 mg cholesterol
71 mg sodium
3 g carb
1 g fiber
2 g sugar
3 g protein
From the American Heart Association at www.heart.org