What is the Gastric Bypass Procedure?
Many patients choose gastric bypass surgery due to the dramatic weight loss results it can create. Sterling Center Bariatrics is experienced in performing these procedures, and we ensure the utmost in patient safety and comfort. Our patients are thrilled with better health and long-lasting weight loss results.
Is obesity seriously affecting the quality of your life? Are you plagued with such health problems as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, sleep apnea or gastroesophageal reflux disease? If you’ve found limited success through diet and exercise alone, you may be a good candidate for this procedure.
Find out more below.
While some doctors may perform gastric bypass surgery as an open surgery, at Sterling Center Bariatrics, our physicians’ uses a minimally invasive technique called laparoscopic surgery
In this procedure:
- Tiny incisions are made in the abdomen, and laparoscopes (thin, long tubes with microscopic cameras) are inserted
- The stomach is divided, so that a small pouch remains at the top
- The small intestine is also divided and connected to the new small pouch
After gastric bypass surgery, patients are satisfied faster and consume fewer calories, and the changes in gut hormones can help patients with Type 2 diabetes. If you’ve been unable to lose weight with exercise and nutrition alone, gastric bypass surgery may be an ideal solution.
While our technique means patients of Sterling Center Bariatrics can look forward to returning to their everyday routine quickly, there will be some discomfort for about a week. Set aside three to five days for recovery in the hospital.
A few things are essential:
- Follow your physician’s orders regarding diet, which will include an all-liquid diet for the first day or so after the surgery and then progress to a pureed diet before transitioning back to solid food. This helps you avoid nausea, shakiness and diarrhea
- Eat your food slowly and mindfully to avoid stretching out the stomach and negatively affecting the results of the surgery
- Make healthy nutrition choices and integrate exercise into your lifestyle
Significant weight loss is expected when a patient follows all recommendations, including diet and fitness.