Language is our most human characteristic. It is essential to learning, working, and enjoying family life and friendships. There are many ways to express language.Speaking, using sign language, writing and using computerized communication devices are some of the most common ones. Speech-language pathologists (sometimes informally referred to as speech therapists) are educated to assess speech and language development and to treat speech and language disorders. Speech pathologists also help people with feeding and swallowing disorders.
Speech-Language Pathology at the the Vereen Center can address the following issues:
- Swallowing ~ Swallowing is a function we all take for granted. Dysphagia is the inability to swallow correctly.
- Emergent Literacy ~ Begins at birth and continues through the preschool years.
- Speech and Language development ~ There are typical patterns of development for both speech and language from birth.
- Speech and Language disorders ~ There are a wide variety of speech and language disorders, some congenital and some acquired.
- Brain Health Services & LSVT Loud