The Nurse Extern program offers senior nursing students a 12-month program in which the extern will be immersed in the role of a professional nurse. Externs will work side-by-side with a registered nurse, providing hands-on patient care and developing clinical reasoning skills necessary for quality patient care delivery.
The externship will provide opportunities in a variety of clinical specialties and with the diverse patient populations served at Colquitt Regional Medical Center. These include critical care, progressive care/step down, emergency, obstetrics, pediatrics, and medical/surgical units.
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
- The Nurse Extern program is for students in the last year of their nursing program.
- Externs will spend time in all nursing units in 6-week rotations.
- The program allows a flexible schedule around school requirements (max: 24hrs/week).
- The nurse extern must commit in advance to all nursing unit rotations.
- 6-week rotation through all nursing units during last year of nursing program
- 6-week evaluations with preceptors/unit directors
- Two 12-hour shifts a week in conjunction with your school program (flexible)
Upon completion of the program, the nurse extern will:
- Demonstrate increased proficiency in clinical skills
- Develop time-management and organizational skills required as a professional nurse
- Growth in the understanding of the role of the professional nurse
- Gain self-confidence in the role of the professional nurse
- Senior year in ADN or BSN program
- Maintained 3.0 GPA at hire and throughout the program
- Able to meet Colquitt Regional job-related requirements
- BLS Certification for healthcare providers from the American Heart Association
- Not be contracted to another facility following graduation
Nurse externs will have the opportunity to:
- Work one-on-one with an RN, performing the duties of a professional nurse.
- Learn about assessments, medication administrations, charting standards, and clinical reasoning.
- If available, receive priority job placement upon graduation.
Applications are accepted 12 months prior to student graduation. Successful applicants will submit:
- A cover letter and resume
- An official or unofficial transcript
- Two letters of recommendation from nursing school institution
- Visit the Colquitt Regional Medical Center Home page under careers to complete online application
3131 S. Main St. Moultrie, GA 31768